PEP 3107 and stronger typing (note: probably a newbie question)

Juergen Erhard jae+python at jerhard.org
Thu Jul 19 22:58:00 EDT 2007

On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 11:26:22AM -0700, Paul Rubin wrote:

> Guy Steele used to describe functional programming -- the evaluation
> of lambda-calculus without side effects -- as "separation of Church
> and state", a highly desirable situation ;-).
>
> (For non-FP nerds, the above is a pun referring to Alonzo Church, who
> invented lambda calculus in the 1920's or so).

Wow, I didn't realize I was an FP nerd :)

On proving programs correct... from my CS study days I distinctly
remember thinking "sure, you can prove it correct, but you cannot do
actual useful stuff with it".  We might have come a long way since
then (late 80s :P), but I don't hold out much hope (especially since
the halting problem does exist, and forever will).

Bye, J