Can a low-level programmer learn OOP?

Chris Carlen crcarleRemoveThis at BOGUSsandia.gov
Mon Jul 16 14:45:04 EDT 2007

Hendrik van Rooyen wrote:
>  "Chris Carlen" <crcarl,,,,dia.gov> wrote:
>>Form 2:  Use Python and PySerial and TkInter or wxWidgets.
>>Pro:  Cross-platform goal will likely be achieved fully.  Have a
>>programmer nearby with extensive experience who can help.
>>Con:  Must learn new language and library.  Must possibly learn a
>>completely new way of thinking (OOP) not just a new language syntax.
>>This might be difficult.
> This is the way to go. - Trust me on this.
> When you describe your history, it is almost an exact parallel to mine.
> In my case, I have been doing real low level stuff (mostly 8031 assembler)
> since 1982 or so. And then I found python in a GSM module (Telit), and
> I was intrigued.
> I really appreciate your comments on OO - it parallels a lot of what I feel
> as there is a lot of apparent BS that does not seem to "do anything" at first
> sight.
> However-  for the GUI stuff, there is an easily understood relationship between
> the objects and what you see on the screen - so its a great way of getting
> into OO - as far as people like you and me will go with it, which is not very
> far, as we tend to think in machine instructions...
> And for what its worth - you can programme assembler-like python, and it also
> works.
>
> The best thing to do is just to spend a few days playing with say Tkinter.
> I use a reference from the web written by John W Shipman at New Mexico
> Tech - it is succinct and clear, and deserves more widespread publicity.
>
> Google for it - I have lost the link, although I still have the pdf file.
[edit]

Thanks for the tip.  The next poster provides the link, which I've got
bookmarked now.

The more I play with Python, the more I like it.  Perhaps I will
understand OOP quicker than I thought.  What I've learned so far about
names binding to objects instead of values stored in memory cells, etc.
has been interesting and fascinating.

--
Good day!

Christopher R. Carlen
Principal Laser&Electronics Technologist
Sandia National Laboratories CA USA
crcarleRemoveThis at BOGUSsandia.gov
NOTE, delete texts: "RemoveThis" and
"BOGUS" from email address to reply.