accessing javascript variables within psp code

BAnderton blake.anderton at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 21:29:27 EDT 2007

Hello all,

Question:  Is there any way to access a javascript variable from
within psp code?

I'm aware of how to do the reverse of this (js_var='<%=psp_var%>').

Here's a non-working example of what I'm trying to do:

- - - (begin example) - - -

function Test(txt)
{
a = confirm('Are you sure you want to delete '+txt+'?')
if (a)
{
//The problem is getting the value of js variable 'txt' recognized in
"psp space".
<%
os.remove(  os.path.join(os.path.dirname(req.filename), '../notes/'+
%>txt<%)  )
%>

}
}

- - - (end example) - - -

FYI, I've already found a workaround for the above example (by placing
a "get" variable in the URL, reloading the page, and having psp check
for the existence of that variable before proceeding with deleting the
appropriate file) but I'd still like this general capability for
future projects.  I've searched several forums, websites, etc. and
the
answer has aluded me for two days now.  I'm new to apache, mod_python,
and javascript, so this may be ridiculously simple.

Since this is my first post on google groups, I'd also appreciate any
helpful suggestions on how to best go about getting answers quickly
(so let me know if there's a more appropriate forum/method/etc.)

Thanks for any help you can provide.

(This is copied from a message I originally posted to the mod_python
group.)