accessing javascript variables within psp code

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at wtf.websiteburo.oops.com
Wed Jul 18 03:40:10 EDT 2007

BAnderton a écrit :
> Hello all,
>
> Question:  Is there any way to access a javascript variable from
> within psp code?

Short answer : no (or at least: not directly). And it has nothing to do
with PSP.

<OT>
Long answer: this has to do with the http protocol. Things go like this:

1/ the client (usually the browser) send a request (via typing an url in
the address bar, clicking a link, posting a form...)

2/ the server process the request (this is where your psp - or any other
server-side - code is executed) and send back a response (in your case,
what has been generated by the psp code).

3/ the client do something (usually: display) the response. This is
where Javascript - if any, and if supported by the client - is executed.

 From the server's POV, once the response is sent, the transaction is
finished.

The only way to have client-side javascript communicate with the server
is via the XmlHttpRequest object (IOW : ajax). This allow javascript
code to send a request to a server without reloading the whole page.
</OT>

(snip)

> FYI, I've already found a workaround for the above example (by placing
> a "get" variable in the URL, reloading the page, and having psp check
> for the existence of that variable before proceeding with deleting the
> appropriate file)

<OT>
Beware, GET request should *not* have such side-effects on the server. A
GET request is meant - as the name implies - to get data from the
server. Use a POST request instead.

If you're going to do web development, reading the http RFC might be
helpful...
</OT>

> but I'd still like this general capability for
> future projects.

Then you have to learn how to use XmlHttpRequest.

> I've searched several forums, websites, etc. and
> the
> answer has aluded me for two days now.  I'm new to apache, mod_python,
> and javascript, so this may be ridiculously simple.
>
> Since this is my first post on google groups,

<OT>
Small correction : you're not posting "on" google groups, you're posting
on usenet *from* google groups. Most people prefer to access usenet via
a newsreader.
</OT>

> I'd also appreciate any
> helpful suggestions on how to best go about getting answers quickly

And remember that usenet is definitively not an help desk. No one get
paid for answering your questions.

HTH