Why PHP is so much more popular for web-development

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Jul 26 09:06:22 EDT 2007

walterbyrd wrote:
> On Jul 22, 12:17 am, Bruno Desthuilliers
> <bdesth.quelquech... at free.quelquepart.fr> wrote:
>
>> Either you are a casual user with 101 web
>> development skills trying to set up your personal home page
>
> But this, sort of, brings me back to my original point. Nobody starts
> out being advanced. There are  substantial differences in cost, and
> deployment, between PHP and Python.  It is much easier to get started
> with PHP. And once somebody has started with PHP, that person is
> likely to stay with PHP. Most PHP developers do not see a compelling
> reason to start all over again with Python.
>
> BTW: I have a certain amount of respect for PHP, and PHP developers.
> PHP5 is a big step forward over PHP4. And, there have been substantial
> web projects completed with PHP - probably more so than with Python.

If PHP does everything they want, why should they change to Python? I am
as keen as anyone else to see Python widely adopted, but not at the
expense of forcing a tool down an unwilling population's throats.

Python is a programming language first, PHP has become one almost
incidentally. It's good at (some) things that Python isn't. It's
horrible at others (for example OO in PHP is almost as horrible as OO in
Perl). Learn to live with it! ;-)

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119