Client-side cookies on Python in Mac OSX

Adrian Petrescu apetresc at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Jul 12 22:14:04 EDT 2007

Hi, all. I'm writing an app for OS X; therefore I'd prefer to use only
the default python install that comes with Tiger. For the moment,
however, this means:

NaviOSX:~ adrianpetrescu$ python -V
Python 2.3.5

Therefore, I was not surprised to find out that cookielib did not
exist here, since I knew that it was a 2.4+ feature.

However, I *was* shocked to find out that ClientCookie, which I'd
thought was a Python 2.0+ feature, also cannot be found:

>>> import ClientCookie
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: No module named ClientCookie

Why would Apple go out of their way to remove this functionality from
their shipped version of Python? More importantly, considering I need
to programatically access a website that uses cookies for
authentication, how can I do this in OSX's Python install? Do they
provide some other library they'd prefer you to use?

I'm sure SOMEONE in the world has used cookies on Macs so I'm hoping
there is a solution for this...

Thanks in advance!
    -- Adrian Petrescu