Client-side cookies on Python in Mac OSX

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Sat Jul 14 09:33:58 EDT 2007

Adrian Petrescu <apetresc at uwaterloo.ca> writes:

> Oh, you're right! Silly me, I had always thought it was standard.
> Thanks for pointing this out! I went and downloaded ClientCookie and
> it works great on OS X. And since it is BSD-licensed, I can use it in
> my app without any fear. Perfect.
>
> Thank you, Graham!

The relationship is that cookielib is derived from ClientCookie:
essentially the same code, cleaned up to take advantage of newer
Python features, renamed to 'cookielib' and added to the stdlib.

The other difference is in thread synchronisation: ClientCookie had
some broken thread synchronisation at one point, which was
subsequently removed (which doesn't imply ClientCookie is not useful
in threaded code).  Though an unfortunate series of events the
released cookielib ended up with that broken thread synchronisation
code.  It seems at least some of those thread synchronisation bugs in
cookielib are fixed in the lastest version of Python.

http://python.org/sf/1484758

http://python.org/sf/1587139

John