code indentation

Wildemar Wildenburger wildemar at freakmail.de
Wed Jul 25 11:31:52 EDT 2007

vedrandekovic at v-programs.com wrote:
>> And while we're on the topic of communication: The original poster
>> would do well to learn that increasing the number of consecutive
>> punctuation marks (!!!, ???) is a sure way to turn away many people
>> who would otherwise be helpful. Sentences need at most one '!' or '?',
>> adding more does not improve the chances of being taken seriously.
>>

> And if you can help me than please help me , but if you can't then
> please don't leave me some stupid messages

Whats stupid about this? It's sane advice.

Which looks more serious to you:

this:
I can't do it!!!! Can you PLEASE help me????!!!?!

or this:
I don't know the answer. Can you please help me?

Even if it makes no difference to you, to many people it does. So Ben is
right: People *will* take your posts more seriously if you restrict your
use of punctuation (if only because its easier to read).
Don't feel offended, nobody was trying to put you down.

/W