Commandline wrapper: help needed

Toby etatoby at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 10:50:40 EST 2007

Toby A Inkster wrote:
> Hello Toby, excellent name you have there.

Why, thank you!

> What advantage (if any) does this method have over standard UNIX-style
> pipes?

The advantage is being able to write my own filters and input/output
modules and have as small a granularity as needed (while standard UNIX
filters such as cat, grep, sed and awk process entire lines at a time.)
For example I can launch an interactive shell of some kind and use it
both from the terminal I opened it in, and from the network, if my
script is listening on a socket.

By the way, I am using standard UNIX pipes, that's how popen() works!

Toby