Units of measurement

Russ uymqlp502 at sneakemail.com
Wed Jan 17 20:11:29 EST 2007

Robert Kern wrote:
> Paul Rubin wrote:
> > I'm sure this has been done before, but it just struck my fancy, an
> > example of Python's "emulating numeric types", inspired by the old
> > Unix "units" utility, and the Frink language.
>
> Oh yeah, it's been done before. Several times over, in fact.

<cut>

> And there was another one announced here sometime in the past year or so, IIRC,
> but I don't recall the name of it or that of the author.  :-(

Perhaps you are referring to the scalar class at
http://RussP.us/scalar.htm

The nice thing about this one (which I wrote myself) is that after you
do your development and are ready for "production" runs, you can easily
disable the unit checks and get the efficiency of built-in numeric
types. That can be two orders of magnitude faster!

It comes with a complete user manual too (pdf and html). I'm using it
for my engineering work, and it's working great!