Units of measurement

Paul Rubin http
Wed Jan 17 16:46:29 EST 2007

I'm sure this has been done before, but it just struck my fancy, an
example of Python's "emulating numeric types", inspired by the old
Unix "units" utility, and the Frink language.  The language reference
for these features is somewhat unclear and I'll enter some sourceforge
items.  Maybe I'll write a calculator-with-units around it.  If I were
really industrious, I'd attempt a Frink-like interpreter, but don't
hold your breath.

try:
    set
except NameError:
    from sets import Set as set   # python 2.3 ...

class Unit:
    def __init__(self, coef, dimensions):
        self.dimensions = dimensions
        self.coef = coef
    def __add__(self, other):
        if self.dimensions != other.dimensions:
            raise TypeError, ('dimension mismatch', self, other)
        return Unit(self.coef + other.coef, self.dimensions)
    def __sub__(self,other):
        return self + (-1.0) * other
    def __rmul__(self, x):
        return x*self
    def __rdiv__(self, x):
        return x/self
    def __mul__(self, other):
        pc = self.coef * other.coef
        sd, od = self.dimensions, other.dimensions
        basis = set(sd.keys()) | set(od.keys())
        pa = [(d, sd.get(d,0)+od.get(d,0)) for d in basis]
        pd = dict([(d,a) for d,a in pa if a != 0])
        return Unit(pc, pd)
    def __repr__(self):
        a = [repr(self.coef)]
        for d,c in self.dimensions.iteritems():
            s = str(d)
            if c != 1: s += '^'+str(c)
            a.append(s)
        return '*'.join(a)
    def __div__(self, other):
        od = other.dimensions
        inv = Unit(1.0 / other.coef,
                   dict([(d, -od[d]) for d in od]))
        return self * inv
    def __pow__(self, n):
        n = n.coef
        if self.dimensions and type(n) not in (int,long):
            raise TypeError, ('exponent must be integer', self,n)
        cn = self.coef ** n
        sd = self.dimensions
        return Unit(self.coef ** n,
                    dict([(d,sd[d]*n) for d in sd]))

    def __coerce__(self, other):
        if isinstance(other, Unit): return self, other
        return self, Unit(other, {})

    def __float__(self):
        if self.dimensions:
            raise TypeError, ('unit must be dimensionless for float cast', self)
        return float(self.coef)
    def __int__(self):
        return int(float(self))

def base_unit(name):
    return Unit(1.0, {name : 1})

meter = base_unit('m')
second = base_unit('s')
kg = base_unit('kg')
coulomb = base_unit('coulomb')

centimeter = meter / 100
inch = 2.54 * centimeter
foot = ft = 12 * inch
mile = 5280*foot
minute=60*second
hour=60*minute
speed_limit = 55 * mile / hour
furlong = mile / 8
day = 24 * hour
fortnight = 14 * day
# could include more units but you get the idea

c = 186282*mile/second
print 'speed of light =', c/(furlong/fortnight), 'furlongs per fortnight'
# ...