My python programs need a GUI, wxPython or PyQt4?

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Wed Jan 24 09:40:40 EST 2007

Daniel Jonsson wrote:
> So, I've reached the point where my building pipeline tools actually
> needs to be used by other people in my company. By this reason I
> actually need to think about the usability, and I've come to the
> conclusion that I need a GUI. So, which of the two packages should I
> learn, and which one is easier to pick up?
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Daniel

I recommend Tkinter. By itself, Tkinter is too basic (it only supports
buttons, labels, frames, and so on), but if you add extension packages
such as Tablelist (for data display), Tile (for platform-native
theming), and TkTreeCtrl (for tree views), it can produce GUI's that are
just as rich as those available from wx or Qt.

Here are some links for more info:

Tile: http://tktable.sourceforge.net/tile
Tile for Tkinter: http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/TileWrapper

Tablelist: http://www.nemethi.de/
Tabelist for Tkinter (with Tile support):
http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/TableListTileWrapper

Tktreectrl: http://tktreectrl.sourceforge.net/
Treectrl for Tkinter: http://klappnase.zexxo.net/TkinterTreectrl/index.html

All these libraries are open-source and available under
commercial-friendly terms (BSD-style licenses).

I make heavy use of Tile and Tablelist in my applications. Tktreectrl is
incredibly powerful, but is also quite complex, and I have not used it
myself in an application.

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin