Prefered install method?

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py at yahoo.com.ar
Fri Jan 26 02:57:17 EST 2007

At Friday 26/1/2007 04:27, Tina I wrote:

>So my question is; What is the preferred/ common way to install a python
>application so it's not really distro specific? And are there any good
>resources on this on the web?

distutils, included in the standard Python library. You surely have
the docs installed, anyway you can read it online at
http://docs.python.org/dist/dist.html

For the simplest case (your app only contains python modules) just
write a setup.py file on the top directory of you application:

from distutils.core import setup
setup(name='appname',
     version='1.0',
     py_modules=['foo', 'bar'],