Prefered install method?

Tina I tinaweb at bestemselv.com
Fri Jan 26 02:27:48 EST 2007

Another noob question:
I have written my first linux application that might actually be of
interest to others. Just for fun I also wrote an install script that put
the files in the common directories for my distro (Debian). That is in
/usr/local/. (This particular program can be run directly from the
user's /home but as a learning experience I want to do it the 'coorect' way)

Now, I don't know if that is the way to do it with python applications.
I also don't know if a custom install script is the norm. I have seen
some use of makefiles and tried to find something about it but the
manual for GNUMake really assume you are familiar with/ using C which
I'm not. I have googled a lot for this but can't really find anything
aimed for someone just learning programming with Python.

So my question is; What is the preferred/ common way to install a python
application so it's not really distro specific? And are there any good
resources on this on the web?

Thanks
Tina