2.3-2.5 what improved?

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Wed Jan 17 11:05:23 EST 2007

bruno.desthuilliers at gmail.com wrote:
> Robin Becker a écrit :
>
> AFAIK, most of the speedup comes from optimization of the builtin dict
> type, which is the central
> data structure in Python. But anyway, as Robert pointed out, using CGI
> means lauching
> a new Python process for each and every HTTP request.
>
>> Presumably we have a lot of old
>> cruft that could be improved in some way eg moving loops into comprehensions,
>> using iterator methods etc. Are those sort of things what we should look at?
>
> Consider profiling your code before doing anything else - unless you're
> planning on wasting your time.

our major show stoppers(stuff like stringWidth) are already in C; the remainder
are rather complex methods to do things like paragraph splitting. We're already
considering fcgi to eliminate the startup time. A trial with psyco indicates
another 15% could be obtained there, but I don't think we can use that on the
target platform (which I think is sparc).
--
Robin Becker