Python Windows Editors

Laurent Pointal laurent.pointal at limsi.fr
Tue Jan 23 04:06:07 EST 2007

stef a écrit :
> Laurent Pointal wrote:
>> W. Watson a écrit :
>>
>>> I downloaded python-2.5.msi and installed it. I believe its editor is
>>> IDE. I understand there's a Win editor called pythonwin. I believe it's
>>> in the download pywin32-210.win32-py2.5.exe, but I'm not sure if this
>>> exe file has just the editor or all of Python. Comments? If not how do I
>>> get the PythonWin editor by itself?
>>>

>> Have you take a look at the IDEs page in the Python Wiki (python.org)?
>>
>> http://wiki.python.org/moin/IntegratedDevelopmentEnvironments
>>

> just what I said, TOO many ;-)

Yes, test some, and choose one.
[personnaly, I use Notepad++ on Windows, and Kate on Linux, just
editors, not IDEs]

> and of course how do you keep these pages up-to-date ?
> Zeus (commercial) isn't mentioned ...

...its a Wiki... click the right link and update it:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/IntegratedDevelopmentEnvironments?action=edit

> SPE which has great credits, but can't be found, and if you find it
> somewhere, no manual and it crashes within 30 seconds (repeatly)  ;-)
>
> Not an easy task I guess,
> but it would be nice to have some voting system,
> (maybe only to allow voting when you have compared at least 2 programs)
> that would represent the current state,
> and in which new programs would have a fair chance to start.

Its difficult, apart from their stability (which can get better or bad
on the time, upen their evolution and the evolution of the libraries
they use), its a large part of personnal taste.

IMHO you can only have functionnal comparison of such tools. I started a
synthesis page of editors/IDEs functionnalities in the pythonfr wiki
(french) some (long) time ago...

http://wikipython.flibuste.net/moin.py/EditeursEtIDESynthese

But a Wiki form seem to not be the best way for such comparison... a
dynamic page with a database and some dynamic request would be better.

A+

Laurent.