My python programs need a GUI, wxPython or PyQt4?

Paul Rubin http
Tue Jan 23 17:37:18 EST 2007

"Daniel Jonsson" <not at set.se> writes:
> So, I've reached the point where my building pipeline tools actually
> needs to be used by other people in my company. By this reason I
> actually need to think about the usability, and I've come to the
> conclusion that I need a GUI. So, which of the two packages should I
> learn, and which one is easier to pick up?
> Thanks in advance!

I've always found tkinter to be adequate so far.  The widgets look a
little bit crude compared with other toolkits, and there's less fancy
functionality, but it's fairly easy to program and it's included with
Python.  For internal use where you don't need a lot of visual
slickness to sell the product, it may be ok.

Another possibility is embed a web server in your application and use
a browser interface for your gui.  That makes it easy to run the
application on a separate machine from the user, among other things,
even if you don't try to support multiple simultaneous users like a
real web server normally would have to.