Unsubscribing from the list

Roel Schroeven rschroev_nospam_ml at fastmail.fm
Wed Jan 3 18:45:11 EST 2007

Robert Kern schreef:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> On 03/01/07, Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:
>>> Robert provided *detailed* instructions, which you ignored.   I quoted
>>> the same instructions in my reply, which you also ignored.  the sentence
>>> after the one where you stopped reading also tells you what to do.  one
>>> might suspect that you don't really want to unsubscribe from this list...
>> I didn't ignore his instructions. I went to the page, and found what I
>> was looking for. I told him thank you, and explained why I didn't find
>> it the first time.
>
> He misunderstood you (as I nearly did, too). The way you phrased "decided that
> there was no futher interest on the page for me" is somewhat ambiguous: it can
> seem like it refers to the second time, not the first.

I almost misunderstood too. Dotan is not the only one to be somewhat
confusing though: I've always thought that the way Mailman formulates
that page is confusing. It always seems to me that "(The subcribers list
is only available to the list administrator.)" seems to cover the whole
"Python-list Subscribers" section instead of just the first part of it.

I think this layout would be much clearer (although this is actually a
Mailman issue, not a Python issue):

Python-list Subscribers

Unsubscribe:

To unsubscribe from Python-list, get a password reminder, or change your
subscription options enter your subscription email address: _______
[Unsubscribe or edit options]

If you leave the field blank, you will be prompted for your email address

Subscriber list (only available to the list administrator):

Enter your admin address and password to visit the subscribers list:

Admin address: _______ Password: _______ [Visit Subscriber List[

Roel Schroeven