Email attachments

Max M maxm at mxm.dk
Wed Jan 24 14:52:06 EST 2007

Steve Holden skrev:
> I'm having some trouble getting attachments right for all recipients,
> and it seems like Apple's mail.app is the pickiest client at the moment.
> It doesn't handle attachments that both Thunderbird and Outlook find
> perfectly acceptable.
>
> Since the code I'm using is currently ugly and embedded, before I trim
> it down for posting could anyone who's successfully generated emails
> with attachments received by mail.app let me know if they had any
> problems along the way? Google hasn't given me much on this, but I'm not
> feeling very creative today.

This method is used in one of my Plone products, and there is also a bit
of imap in there. But it is probably simple enough to extract the
attachment relevant parts....

     security.declareProtected(EDIT_CONTENTS_PERMISSION, 'sendMessage')
     def sendMessage(self, to=None, cc=None, bcc=None, inReplyTo=None,
                     subject=None, body='', attachments=None, mode=None,
                     folderPath=None, uid=None, REQUEST=None):
         "Sends a message"
         site_encoding = self._site_encoding()
         ##################
         # Create the message
         msg = Message()
         msg.set_payload(body, site_encoding)
         #####################################
         # if attachment, convert to multipart
         # file fields are posted even if empty, so we need to remove
those :-s
         if attachments is None:
             attachments = []
         attachments = [a for a in attachments if a]
         if attachments or (mode == 'Forward'):
             mimeMsg = MIMEMultipart()
             mimeMsg.attach(msg)
             # If mode is Forward we get original message as attachment
             if mode == 'Forward' and folderPath and uid:
                 original = self.fetchMessageFromPath(folderPath, uid)
                 mimeMsg.attach(original)
             for attachment in attachments:
                 # Add the attachment
                 tmp = email.message_from_string(str(attachment.headers))
                 filename = tmp.get_param('filename', 'Attachment',
'Content-Disposition')
                 # clean up IE paths
                 filename = filename[max(filename.rfind('/'),
                                         filename.rfind('\\'),
                                         filename.rfind(':')
                                        )+1:]
                 contentType = tmp['Content-Type']
                 attach_part = Message()
                 attach_part.add_header('Content-Type', contentType,
name=filename)
                 attach_part.add_header('Content-Disposition',
'attachment', filename=filename)
                 attach_part.set_payload(attachment.read())
                 Encoders.encode_base64(attach_part)
                 mimeMsg.attach(attach_part)
             msg = mimeMsg
         ########################
         # set headers on message
         from_ = self.getEmail()
         msg['From'] = from_
         msg['Reply-To'] = from_
         if to: msg['To'] = to
         if cc: msg['Cc'] = cc
         if bcc: msg['Bcc'] = bcc
         msg['Date'] = self.ZopeTime().rfc822() # needed by some servers
         if inReplyTo:
             msg['In-Reply-To'] = inReplyTo
         msg['Subject'] = Header(subject, site_encoding)
         ##################
         # Send the message
         SMTPserver = self._mailhost()
         outbox = smtplib.SMTP(SMTPserver)
         try:
             cleaner = lambda adresses: [adress.strip() for adress in
adresses.split(',') if adress.strip()]
             all_receivers = cleaner(to) + cleaner(cc) + cleaner(bcc)
             outbox.sendmail(from_, all_receivers, msg.as_string())
             success = 1
         except:
             success = 0
         ######################################
         # append the message to the 'Sent' box
         if success:
             Sent = self.getSentboxName()
             connection = self.getConnection()
             try:
                 connection.append(Sent, msg.as_string(), ('\\Seen',))
             except:
                 # we don't want to not send messages just because the
sentbox isn't set correctly
                 pass
         #################################
         # returns a portal status message
         if REQUEST:
             if success:
                 message = 'Succes! The message was sent '
             else:
                 message = 'Error! The message could not be sent'
             REQUEST.RESPONSE.redirect(self.absolute_url() +
'/mxmImapClient_compose?portal_status_message=%s' % message)

--

hilsen/regards Max M, Denmark

http://www.mxm.dk/
IT's Mad Science