Compiling extension with Visual C++ Toolkit Compiler - MSVCR80.dll

alexandre_irrthum at yahoo.com alexandre_irrthum at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 29 15:47:13 EST 2007

Hi there,

I am trying to install a Python library with a C extension (the
Polygon library) and I am having a bad time. My Python version is
Python 2.4.3 - Enthought Edition 1.0.0 (#69, Aug  2 2006, 12:09:59)
[MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on Windows XP Pro. I have dutifully
followed the instructions here:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/Building_Python_with_the_free_MS_C_Toolkit

i.e.,

- Installed Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit Compiler 2003
- Installed Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2
- Installed Microsoft .NET Framework SDK, version 1.1
- setup the path, include and lib environment variables with a .bat
file, as described in the wiki document

The library seems to build correctly (producing Polygon.py and
cPolygon.pyd), but when I import it I get the following message from
python.exe: "This application has failed to start because MSVCR80.dll
was not found". I thought that this might be due to Python trying to
link against  the .dll from Microsoft Visual C++ Express 2005, also
installed on my PC, instead of MSVCR71.dll. So I've removed MS Visual C
++ Express 2005, and any trace of it from my environment variables,
but that doesn't seem to change anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

alex