OT Annoying Habits

Jorge Godoy jgodoy at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 19:28:03 EST 2007

"Carroll, Barry" <Barry.Carroll at psc.com> writes:

> Secondly, can someone point me to the Standard Usenet Convention that
> mandates against top-posting.  This is not sarcasm; I would really like

You can read RFC 1855.  Section 3.1.3 talks about newsgroups.

Section 3.1.1 has general guidelines and it includes this:

        If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you
        summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just
        enough text of the original to give a context. This will make sure
        readers understand when they start to read your response. Since
        NetNews, especially, is proliferated by distributing the postings from
        one host to another, it is possible to see a response to a message
        before seeing the original. Giving context helps everyone. But do not
        include the entire original.

I've added the "^" to mark the part where it says what should be on the top of
the message.

You can check it: http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html

Be seeing you,
--