Python does not play well with others

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Thu Jan 25 09:33:19 EST 2007

    Paul> .... We all know that the Python language has issues (or "warts"
    Paul> as they are popularly called), although some of the most notable
    Paul> ones don't seem to have been addressed as yet in the plans for
    Paul> Python 3000 (eg. default argument evaluation), but some of the
    Paul> most awkward aspects of using Python involve libraries, not some
    Paul> deficiency of the language....

I think EasyInstall might have some role to play in improving the library
status quo.  Consider the cgi module.  It was originally written in probably
1995 or earlier and for a long time was the only game in town.
Consequently, lots of applications used it.  Times have changed though and
there's a whole new alphabet soup of web application frameworks available.
I installed Pylons the other day with "easy_install pylons".  No fuss, no
muss.  Over time (maybe in Python 3) modules like cgi, which arguably no
longer belong in the core can be maintained externally and installed only
when needed.

Skip