Python does not play well with others

sjdevnull at yahoo.com sjdevnull at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 25 14:59:49 EST 2007

On Jan 25, 12:17 pm, John Nagle <n... at animats.com> wrote:
>     My main concern is with glue code to major packages.  The connections
> to OpenSSL, MySQL, and Apache (i.e. mod_python) all exist, but have major
> weaknesses.  If you're doing web applications, those are standard pieces
> which need to work right.  There's a tendency to treat those as abandonware
> and re-implement them as event-driven systems in Twisted.

In the real world I've worked on Python web apps at my last 3 jobs, and
they've all used mod_python and either MySQL or Postgres.  I haven't
had a need to do anything with OpenSSL from Python; all that takes
place in the Apache server (possibly with some mod_rewrite rules to
ensure that certain pages are only hit from https and so forth).

I think the impression that everyone's using some sexy new framework
like Django or TurboGears or Pylons on Twisted or lighttpd/wsgi is
pretty misleading, especially when it comes to companies with a
decent-size existing codebase (we're into the "fairly large" range with
about 325,000 lines of Python now--most is independent of the
architecture, but it'd still be an administratively sizeable
change)--the place I'm at currently is considering moving to
apache+wsgi, but that's a smaller change (and one that's been under
consideration for months now).