Barcode recognition in Python

PaoloB pibizza at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 09:34:19 EST 2007

Jorge Godoy wrote:
> "PaoloB" <pibizza at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I am searching for a python library for barcode recognition. We have
> > developed a rather complex application for document tracking and
> > document management in python/Zope, called PAFlow (www.paflow.it:
> > sorry, most of the information is in Italian...).
> >
> > As our project is completely free software, we will need a library that
> > is free software too.
> >
> > Is there something like this in python ?
>
> Sorry, but what do you mean by "barcode recognition"?  A barcode reader
> already decodes the barcode and sends the decoded output.  If it is one
> plugged in a keyboard port, for example, reading the barcode or typing the
> "message" is exactly the same thing.
>
> Or are you willing some kind of OCR to process the barcodes without a barcode
> reader (why having barcodes then?)?

Hi Jorge,

basically we are trying to do exactly this. Our process works as
follows:

- an operator receives a paper document, compiles a series of data on a
computer form and produces a bar code stamp, that he puts on the
document.

- the document received during the day are put on a mass scanner. The
documents are sent to a specific e-mail address;

- the system reads the scanned documents, and based on the barcodes,
associate the documents to the information already present on the
system.

So, yes, we have to make OCR for barcodes.

Ciao

PaoloB