"Subscribing" to topics?

Stef Mientki S.Mientki-nospam at mailbox.kun.nl
Sun Feb 4 13:34:09 EST 2007

Mizipzor wrote:
> Is there a way to "subscribe" to individual topics? im currently
> getting bombarded with daily digests and i wish to only receive a mail
> when there is activity in a topic that interests me. Can this be done?
>
> Thanks in advance.

I'm relative new (couple of months),
and although there seems already to be a few different categories,
I see a lot of posts of experienced users,
that completely ignore these differences
(or perhaps I don't understand a bit of it ;-).

[ANN] is this group, I thought we had:
   python-announce at python.org
   pycon-announce at python.org
Scipy questions, I thought we had:
   scipy-user at scipy.org
Delphi, I thought we had:
   pythonfordelphi at yahoogroups.com
Probably there are a number of other groups
(would be nice to have a list of these)

here is the description list that I'm subscribed for many years,
that uses good defined topics
   http://www.piclist.com/techref/piclist/index.htm
It has one major disadvantage for newbies,
if a message without the proper tag arrives,
it is blocked and can be manual added to the list by the moderator.

cheers,
(and sorry for all the stupid newbie posts,
which probably is not of your interest ;-)
Stef Mientki