Python does not play well with others

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Thu Feb 1 19:34:58 EST 2007

    Just a followup.  I'm still trying to get Python, MySQL, MySQLdb,
M2Crypto, and maybe mod_python to work on a shared hosting server.
This is amazingly difficult, because of all the version incompatibility issues.
Python, MySQL, MySQLdb, SWIG, OpenSSL, and gcc all have to have the
right versions, and those aren't necessarily the versions shipping
in some major Linux distros.

 From EZpublishing tech support:
"To make matters worse, we can't run the newer version of openSSL on any of our
current servers. It's a standard redhat rpm and redhat hasn't upgraded it. We
can install it on dedicated servers, but it is too risky for other users to be
installed on a shared environment."

 From Aplus.net tech support:
"No, db connectivity with Python is not supported. Modules for Python
can't be installed by request on shared hosting."

And these are companies that say they support Python.

Python still isn't ready for prime time in the web hosting world.

				John Nagle