The Python interactive interpreter has no command history

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Mon Feb 26 09:23:51 EST 2007

On 16 Feb, 11:40, Alan Franzoni
<alan.franzoni_inva... at geemail.invalid> wrote:
> Il Thu, 15 Feb 2007 15:14:00 -0200, Eduardo "EdCrypt" O. Padoan ha scritto:
>
> > Are you using Ubuntu? The last comes with 2.4.x and 2.5. This only
> > occurs on 2.5. This happens when you compile Python with libreadline
> > installed, AFAIK.
>
> I'm on Edgy and command history works well both with 2.4 and 2.5 with my
> config. If it's really an Edgy glitch, it must be configuration-related!

I guess it depends on how one is building the software. According to
the package information [1] libreadline5 is stated as a dependency, so
if one uses the Debian tools to make a package from the sources (plus
the diffs), one should get complaints about missing dependencies
rather than inadvertently getting an installable version of Python
with broken command history support.

Paul

[1] http://packages.ubuntu.com/edgy/python/python2.5