Is Python for me?

jiddu sseebbaa123 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 9 00:08:45 EST 2007

Hi,

I'm planning to create a poker calculator, I learned some basic in
highschool years ago and I was told for beginners Python is a good
language to start.

What I wanted to do is to first write a program which will be able to run
through all the possible combinations of cards dealt out and use some
counters to calculate different probabilities at different stages. Since
that is a lot of data I think I have to store it in some kind of database
or spreadsheet type thing?

Then I wanted to write a simple user interface so I could use my mouse to
make selections of cards that I am dealt and that come on the flop and how
many opponents and have the program find the calculated information and
display it on the screen.

I am wondering if I learn to use Python will I be able to write something
like this? My friend studied some C in college so I thought I'd learn C++,
turns out it is a very complicated language so I thought maybe I should try
something else before I commit more time to the language.

Thank you very much in advance