Any python scripts to do parallel downloading?

Michele Simionato michele.simionato at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 01:02:36 EST 2007

On Jan 31, 8:31 pm, "Carl J. Van Arsdall" <cvanarsd... at mvista.com>
wrote:

> Well, since it will be io based, why not use threads?  They are easy to
> use and it would do the job just fine.  Then leverage some other
> technology on top of that.
>
> You could go as far as using wget via os.system() in a thread, if the
> app is simple enough.

Calling os.system in a thread look really perverse to me, you would
loose CTRL-C without any benefit.
Why not to use subprocess.Popen instead?

I am unhappy with the current situation in Python. Whereas for most
things Python is such that the simplest
things look simple, this is not the case for threads. Unfortunately we
have a threading module in the
standard library, but not a "Twisted for pedestrian" module, so people
overlook the simplest solution
in favor of the complex one.
Another thing I miss is a facility to run an iterator in the Tkinter
mainloop: since Tkinter is not thread-safe,
writing a multiple-download progress bar in Tkinter using threads is
definitely less obvious than running
an iterator in the main loop, as I discovered the hard way. Writing a
facility to run iterators in Twisted
is a three-liner, but it is not already there, nor standard :-(

  Michele Simionato