Python, readline and OS X

James Stroud jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu
Thu Feb 1 18:18:35 EST 2007

Ron Garret wrote:
> I have installed Python 2.5 on my new Intel Mac but I can't for the life
> of me get readline to work.  I have libreadline installed, I've tried
> copying readline.so from my Python 2.3 installation into 2.5, I've
> searched the web, and no joy.  Could someone please give me a clue?
>
> rg

Where have you installed libreadline? Is LD_LIBRARY_PATH pointing to the
directory libreadline.dylib? Did you install libreadline with fink? If
so, try

   setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /sw/lib

before compiling (csh).

Bash (OSX default) and similar shells use this silly 2 part syntax:

   LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/sw/lib
   export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Do a "locate libreadline.dylib" and set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the
containing directory and then

   make clean
   ./configure
   make