Pep 3105: the end of print?

Edward K Ream edreamleo at charter.net
Fri Feb 16 10:00:46 EST 2007

> So you only have one codebase to maintain and you can still use print...

Not if the theorum is correct.

> It may be true that you won't be able to write code that runs
> untranslated on 2 and 3.

That's my definition of a common code base.  That is the content of the
theorum.

> That doesn't stop you writing code for Python
> 2.X, then translating a version for Python 3. (Uhm... indeed that's the
> point of 2to3.)

That is not what I would call a common code base.  The developer would have
to run the translater every time the code changed.  And if the Python 3.0
code were considered the 'master' code, the developer would need a 3to2
translater.

Either disprove the theorum or give up the notion of having a common code
base that uses print.

Edward
Edward K. Ream   email:  edreamleo at charter.net