list/get methods/attributes of a class?

Jason tenax.raccoon at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 11:37:22 EST 2007

On Feb 22, 8:27 am, bkamr... at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
> Sorry guys for this newbie questions. But I wonder if there is a
> standard or build-in method to know the methods of a class?
>
> I'm not originally a progrommer and I have worked with python/qt in a
> basic level. Now I work a package which has many predefined classes
> which I'm going to resue by importing them. I would like to know more
> about each imported class, what methods exists and so on. Printing the
> object or type(object) doesn't say so much.
>
> Any hint or helps is really appreciated!
> /Ben

Also, try out the built-in help function on the original class.  It'll
list the class layout, methods, and any associated document strings.
(It won't list member variables, though.)  To see all elements in an
instance or class, use the dir() function.

>>> class Dummy(object):
...     "A sample class that can have any given data."
...     def __init__(self, *args):
...             self._args = args
...     def GetArgCount(self):
...             """Show how many arguments were passed at
instantiation."""
...             return len(self._args)
>>> d = Dummy(1, 2, 'three')
>>> help(d)          # help(Dummy) also works
Help on Dummy in module __main__ object:

class Dummy(__builtin__.object)
 |  A sample class that can have any given data.
 |
 |  Methods defined here:
 |
 |  GetArgCount(self)
 |      Show how many arguments were passed at instantiation.
 |
 |  __init__(self, *args)

 |  Data and other attributes defined here:
 |
 |  __dict__ = <dictproxy object>
 |      dictionary for instance variables (if defined)
 |
 |  __weakref__ = <attribute '__weakref__' of 'Dummy' objects>
 |      list of weak references to the object (if defined)

  --Jason