Best Free and Open Source Python IDE

Kirk Sluder kirk at nospam.jobsluder.net
Sat Feb 10 23:26:07 EST 2007

In article <6fd78$45ccd1c1$d443bb3a$15713 at news.speedlinq.nl>,
 Stef Mientki <S.Mientki-nospam at mailbox.kun.nl> wrote:

> Which brings me to some other questions on waste:
> - isn't it a pitty so many people are involved in writing another editor /
> IDE ?

I don't know about that.  Most of the new editor development appears
to involve one of the following:

1: Taking advantage of a specific graphical toolkit or interface,
such as  KDE, Gnome, Cocoa, MS Foundation, SWING, and terminals.

2: Building around a specific language for macro and script
programming.

3: Adding features that are useful for specific development models.
Web/HTML authoring requires upload tools, C/C++ requires make, Java
might use Ant, lisp and python can use shells.

> - isn't it a waste for newbies to evaluate a dozen editors / IDE's ?

I think that in many cases, the choices are constrained to two or
three depending on what the _newbie_ wants to do, and what Desktop
Environment they use.  For general editors on OS X, I'd suggest
Smultron, or TextWrangler.  For KDE, kick the tires on Kate a bit.
Cross-platform and portable? jEdit.  Text consoles? Emacs, vim or
jed.

And if the newbie has some specific itch that needs to be scratched,
there again the choices usually boil down to two or three best of
breed IDEs, many of which are segregated by platform.