threading and multicores, pros and cons

Nikita the Spider NikitaTheSpider at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 15:29:48 EST 2007

In article <mailman.3976.1171427985.32031.python-list at python.org>,
 Maric Michaud <maric at aristote.info> wrote:

> This is a recurrent problem I encounter when I try to sell python solutions
> my customers. I'm aware that this problem is sometimes overlooked, but here
> is the market's law.
>
> I've heard of a bunch of arguments to defend python's choice of GIL, but I'm
> not quite sure of their technical background, nor what is really important
> and what is not. These discussions often end in a prudent "python has made a
> choice among others"... which is not really convincing.
>
> If some guru has made a good recipe, or want to resume the main points it
> would be really appreciated.

When designing a new Python application I read a fair amount about the
implications of multiple cores for using threads versus processes, and
decided that using multiple processes was the way to go for me. On that
note, there a (sort of) new module available that allows interprocess
communication via shared memory and semaphores with Python. You can find
it here:
http://NikitaTheSpider.com/python/shm/

Hope this helps

--