"Subscribing" to topics?

Toby A Inkster usenet200701 at tobyinkster.co.uk
Sun Feb 4 15:55:27 EST 2007

Mizipzor wrote:

> I searhed around a little and it seems that not only do i need a
> newsreader, i need a newsserver to. To fetch all the messages from
> here. I learned that sometimes the ISP provides one, however, mine do
> not. But then I discovered that Google has a free newsserver, so I
> joined this group from there.

You discovered wrong -- Google does not provide a free newsserver. They no
doubt *have* several newsservers, but don't provide direct access to them
either free, or for a fee. They only provide a web interface to access the
contents of their newsservers, with a fraction of the features that a real
newsreader would.

You seem to already have a newsreader -- you're using Opera, which
includes a fairly good one, hidden away in the Hotlist/Panels/whatever-
they're-calling-it-today. Other newsreaders I'd recommend are PAN and
Forte Agent.

So you just need a server. "pubnews.gradwell.net" still seems to exist --
it's free. Alternatively, "news.individual.net" offers a good service for
a fairly low yearly cost.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Geek of ~ HTML/CSS/Javascript/SQL/Perl/PHP/Python*/Apache/Linux

* = I'm getting there!