Python does not play well with others

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Thu Feb 1 22:56:51 EST 2007

John Nagle <nagle at animats.com> writes:

> Python is the only major open source project I've encountered where
> there's so much hostility to bug reports.

Bear in mind that if you send a message only to this mailing list,
that's not a bug report. That's a discussion, which may be worth
having, but not one you can reasonably expect to result in a fix for a
bug.

A bug report should be sent to the bug tracker for the software
against which you're reporting a bug. Only at that point does it
become something on which you can comment about attitude toward bug
reports, because before that point the bug report doesn't exist in a
useful form.

> For a while, I tried submitting long, detailed bug reports showing
> where in the C code a problem lies, and pointing out ways to fix it.

That's great. I hope your attention to detail was well received.

> But I don't want to take over maintenance on the SSL package; it's
> too delicate.

That's fair enough. But if no-one maintains it to your satisfaction,
you do get what you pay for. If it's important to you, it should be
worth an investment of *some* kind from you, to ensure it is
maintained.

--
 \        "The Bermuda Triangle got tired of warm weather. It moved to |
  `\            Alaska. Now Santa Claus is missing."  -- Steven Wright |