Python does not play well with others

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri Feb 2 07:25:49 EST 2007

On 2 Feb, 04:56, Ben Finney <bignose+hates-s... at benfinney.id.au>
wrote:

> A bug report should be sent to the bug tracker for the software
> against which you're reporting a bug. Only at that point does it
> become something on which you can comment about attitude toward bug
> reports, because before that point the bug report doesn't exist in a
> useful form.

I think it's also worth considering various social factors when filing
bug reports. Whilst a report sent directly to the developers of a
particular module might ultimately be the way to get bugs fixed
"permanently", it is also worth investigating whether there are any
other parties affected by those bugs, whether bugs have been filed in
other places (eg. in a Linux distribution's bug tracker), and whether
there are communities who have an interest in fixing the bugs in a
more timely fashion.

I see this kind of thing every now and again with projects like KDE.
Often, in a distribution, the version of KDE won't be the absolute
latest from kde.org, and the level of interest amongst the original
developers to fix bugs in older releases is somewhat restrained.
Consequently, I would look to distributions to fix problems with their
KDE packages, especially since many of them appear to perform surgery
on KDE, often making the resulting software almost unmaintainable by
the original developers. Of course, if the bugs are genuine things
which are present "upstream" (ie. in the original software) then I'd
expect that any fixes ultimately make their way back to the original
developers, although various projects (including KDE) seem
uninterested even in merging ready-made fixes to older releases unless
it involves a major security flaw.

Paul