Which Object Database would you recommend for cross platform application?

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Thu Feb 15 15:07:33 EST 2007

Thomas Ploch a écrit :
> Hello folks,
>
> I am currently developing an open source Event Managment software
> (events in real-life, like concerts, exhibitions etc. :-) ) using wx for
> the GUI, and I need an Object database.

"need" ? Why ? (I don't mean you shouldn't use one, just questionning
the "need")...

> Since this is the first time I
> actually need doing this, I wondered if anybody here could recommend
> one. It can be fairly simple. It doesn't need threading support and will
> only host one client (the application, but I am thinking about making
> this database accessible via the web, but this is still far in the
> future),

If you plan on making it accessible TTW, then you do need support for
concurrent access.

> although the database might get big (around 1GiB). It should be
> available for linux, mac os and windows.
>
> I looked into ZODB, but thats totally overloaded for my purpose. I
> looked into Durus (a re-implementation of ZODB, but without this
> overloaded stuff, but the documentation is very thin). Both of them
> don't really appeal.

The ZODB is quite easy to use, and it's probably the most used Python
OODB actually. I have no experience with Durus, but it looked quite
close when I last browsed the project page.

Else you may want to look at Metakit, KirbyBase etc
http://wiki.python.org/moin/DatabaseInterfaces

> So I wondered if any of you could recommend one that (more or less) best
> fits the described conditions.

sqlite +SQLAlchemy.

Yes, I know, that's not an object DB.