c++ for python programmers

Sam free.condiments at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 18:26:46 EST 2007

On 13 Feb 2007 17:51:00 GMT, Jorgen Grahn
<grahn+nntp at snipabacken.dyndns.org> wrote:
> Well, C++ is a better language than C in many ways. So, if he needs to learn
> one of them, why does it have to be C?
>
> Another reason some people choose C++ over Python for some tasks is that
> they feel that larger programs benefit from strong, static type checking.
> I like both ways, but depending on the task, one or the other is better.

C++ is -not- strongly typed. You can cast anything to void *, and
manipulate it in ways unimaginable. Plus there's the whole mess that
is pointer arithmetic and a weak typesystem...

Disclaimer: I am unashamedly in the "C++ Is Evil" camp, and wholly
believe that if you want proper strong, static type checking, use
Haskell, or if you want proper, complete object-orientation (C++'s
primitive types compromise its object system's integrity, and I
believe I've already discussed casting and pointers), use Python, and
if you want under-the-hood pointer-fu, use C.

--Sam