Python does not play well with others

Chris Mellon arkanes at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 14:34:35 EST 2007

On 02 Feb 2007 11:10:04 -0800, Paul Rubin
<"http://phr.cx"@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> "Paul Boddie" <paul at boddie.org.uk> writes:
> > If the hosting provider doesn't want to install MySQLdb then it may
> > not be a technical issue - perhaps they just can't be bothered to
> > install it, possibly because there's no demand or benefit to the
> > bottom line in doing so.
>
> Why should the hosting provider need to devote attention to something
> like that?  MySQLdb or something like it should be included with
> Python, not added separately by the hosting provider.  Python is
> really making more demands on hosting providers than comparable
> languages do.  PHP hosting providers don't have to install a separate
> PHP to MySQL interface gizmo as far as I know.
> --

How about because thats what you pay them for? Seriously. Do you even
think about what you're saying? Python needs to move MySQL (and only
MySQL, of course) into the core because installing packages is too
much of a burden for hosting companies?

Christ.

There are a number of languages which are primarily used for "web
development". PHP is the *only* one that ships with MySQL client
access.

Ruby doesn't (only primarily web development because of rails)
ASP, either .NET or classic, doesn't.
Java (in any form I'm aware of) doesn't.
Cold Fusion doesn't.
Perl doesn't.

Who wants to host at a company that can't install packages anyway?

And who wants to be "comparable" to PHP?