Pep 3105: the end of print?

I V wrongbad at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 02:48:34 EST 2007

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 10:46:31 -0800, Beliavsky wrote:
> I think the C and C++ committees also take backwards compatibility
> seriously, in part because they know
> that working programmers will ignore them if they break too much old
> code.

While that's true, C++ compiler vendors, for example, take backwards
compatibility significantly less seriously, it seems to me. A year or so
ago, I tried compiling something I'd written for g++ 2, using a
then-recent-ish g++ 3; it failed spectacularly. Likewise with Visual C++ 6
and a Visual C++ 2005. The suggestion that "working programmers"
will reject python if a major version change introduces some backwards
incompatibilities is not borne out by the experience of any other
language I am aware of.