main

Paddy paddy3118 at netscape.net
Sat Feb 3 04:02:23 EST 2007

On Feb 3, 8:51 am, "Gabriel Genellina" <gagsl... at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> En Sat, 03 Feb 2007 02:37:11 -0300, Paddy <paddy3... at netscape.net>
> escribió:
>
> >> and what is
> >> __name__
> >> __main__
>
> >> use for in terms of Java?
>
> > With respect, (hehe), maybe you need to indicate that you've searched
> > the Python documentation on __name__ and __main__?
> > (Hah! I did that without saying RTFM. - Oh pooh! Fiddlesticks).
>
> Have you acually tried to do the search? The Python tutorial doesn't
> menction that at all. And no one should expect that a beginner would have
> to read section 26.3 on the Language Reference (__main__ -- Top-level
> script environment) just to know what's that stuff about __name__  and
> "__main__"...
>
> --
> Gabriel Genellina

Good point.
Googling for :
  tutorial "if __name__ = '__main__'"
  http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=tutorial+%22if
+__name__+%3D+%27__main__%27%22&btnG=Search&meta=
Gives this excellent page by the effbot:
  http://effbot.org/pyfaq/tutor-what-is-if-name-main-for.htm

In fact, fatwallet should add its index page to his bookmarks:
  http://effbot.org/pyfaq/

Thanks Gabriel,
- Paddy.