WHAT IS THIS?

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch bj_666 at gmx.net
Sat Feb 17 01:57:52 EST 2007

In <aLwBh.2502$_73.294 at newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>, Captain wrote:

> Just bought a new PC with Windows XP Media Edition.  […]  I gather
> Python is a programming language, but I am wondering why it was
> installed on my PC, and is it safe to remove it?  I have no intention of
> learning the program.  Thanks in advance

If it came with the computer it's most probably not safe to remove it
because chances are that it's used by some program or script that is
pre-installed by the vendor of the machine.  At least HP, Compaq and
IBM/Lenovo are known to do this on some computers:

http://www.python.org/doc/faq/installed/
http://effbot.org/pyfaq/installed-why-is-python-installed-on-my-machine.htm

Ciao,
	Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch