c++ for python programmers

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Feb 15 06:25:28 EST 2007

Anders Arnholm wrote:
> Sam <free.condiments at gmail.com> skriver:
>> On 13 Feb 2007 17:51:00 GMT, Jorgen Grahn
>> <grahn+nntp at snipabacken.dyndns.org> wrote:
>>> Well, C++ is a better language than C in many ways. So, if he needs to learn
>>> one of them, why does it have to be C?
>>>
>>> Another reason some people choose C++ over Python for some tasks is that
>>> they feel that larger programs benefit from strong, static type checking.
>>> I like both ways, but depending on the task, one or the other is better.
>> C++ is -not- strongly typed. You can cast anything to void *, and
>> manipulate it in ways unimaginable. Plus there's the whole mess that
>> is pointer arithmetic and a weak typesystem...
>

> C++ can be both, The type systenm is as fragila as you like it to be.
> I mainlty use c++ when i the need stronger typing that Python och C
> can't give me. In some ways it's even stronger types than languanges
> as Java and ObjectiveC. C++ it however at least four different
> languanges, in one ball of soupe.

Presuming "when i the need" is a typo for "when I need the" rather than
"when i feel the need for", when do you actually *need* strong typing?

By which I presume you to mean status typing, since Python is already a
strongly-types language.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Skype: holdenweb     http://del.icio.us/steve.holden