pygame and python 2.5

Ben Sizer kylotan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 15:21:26 EST 2007

On Feb 9, 5:53 pm, s... at pobox.com wrote:
>     Ben> Python extensions written in C require recompilation for each new
>     Ben> version of Python, due to Python limitations.
>
> Can you propose a means to eliminate this limitation?

By putting an intermediate layer between the extensions and the
language. I suppose this is essentially what ctypes does, except from
the other direction.

If someone could explain the limitation in detail, I expect ways could
be found around it. After all, I don't know of any other systems that
require you to recompile all the extensions when you upgrade the
application.

Winamp is one application that comes to mind which has kept plugins
working across many upgrades. I doubt they're still compiling with
Visual Studio 6. Perhaps it works because they have a more restrictive
API that isn't passing non-primitive types across the DLL boundary.

--
Ben Sizer