Python surpasses Perl in TIOBE index

Carl Banks pavlovevidence at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 06:50:10 EST 2007

On Dec 5, 4:18 pm, George Sakkis <george.sak... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 5, 7:34 am, BlueBird <p... at freehackers.org> wrote:
>
> > On Dec 4, 4:08 pm, marcpenni... at gmail.com wrote:
>
> > > This is *not* an attempt to start yet another Python-versus-
> > > AnyOtherProgrammingLanguage flame war, but I thought people might be
> > > interested in this:
>
> > >http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm
>
> > > Marc
>
> > I find Ohloh comparisons also useful:http://www.ohloh.net/languages/compare?commit=Update&l0=python&l0_0=-...
>
> > What it highlights is that the number of python programmer is growing
> > quicker than the number of perl programmers.
>
> Not necessarily; it shows that the count of monthly commits by open
> source developers is growing, which might be mostly thanks to
> relatively few dedicated committers rather than an overall increase in
> the population.

I think it's probably more to do with the opinion of version control
is held in by the Python and Perl communities.

Less pejoratively, Perl's main strength is simple throwaway or single-
task scripts that (paraphrasing the perl man page) require a bit more
complexity than sed or awk; these sorts of things don't really need
version control.  Python is more geared to complex applications, so
version control comes into play a lot more.  It's not a surprise that
Python would have more commits then, even back as far as 2000 when
Perl was the shizzle.

Carl Banks