Python surpasses Perl in TIOBE index

George Sakkis george.sakkis at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 16:18:40 EST 2007

On Dec 5, 7:34 am, BlueBird <p... at freehackers.org> wrote:
> On Dec 4, 4:08 pm, marcpenni... at gmail.com wrote:
>
> > This is *not* an attempt to start yet another Python-versus-
> > AnyOtherProgrammingLanguage flame war, but I thought people might be
> > interested in this:
>
> >http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm
>
> > Marc
>
> I find Ohloh comparisons also useful:http://www.ohloh.net/languages/compare?commit=Update&l0=python&l0_0=-...
>
> What it highlights is that the number of python programmer is growing
> quicker than the number of perl programmers.

Not necessarily; it shows that the count of monthly commits by open
source developers is growing, which might be mostly thanks to
relatively few dedicated committers rather than an overall increase in
the population.

Another interesing point is that the gap with PHP is narrowing too:
http://www.ohloh.net/languages/compare?measure=commits&percent=&l0=perl&l1=php&l2=python&l3=-1&l4=-1&commit=Update

George