why only an msi-installer for windows ?

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Tue Dec 18 16:08:57 EST 2007

On Dec 19, 7:11 am, Tim Couper <tim.cou... at scivisum.co.uk> wrote:
> I think as msi is "The *Windows Installer* .. is an engine for the
> installation, maintenance, and removal of software on modern Microsoft
> Windows <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Windows> systems" (from
> Wikipaedia)", it's clear it's a Windows product ... not sure that
> they're up for putting it on other operating systems .. but you may want
> to email Bill G and ask him ..

It all depends on context, none of which the OP has supplied, and how
much weight one can attach to the position of "only" in his sentence.

"only a msi installer for windows users" could mean "Python supplies
only an msi installer [no exe installer, as was the case for earlier
Python versions] for Windows users. This presents difficulties
installing Python 2.5 on antique versions of Windows".

If Tim's interpretation is correct, it would help greatly if the OP
would say explicitly what his platform is and what his real problem
is, instead of asking why a purported solution doesn't exist.