Strict mode?

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Tue Dec 18 17:26:10 EST 2007

On Dec 19, 9:03 am, "Jack" <nos... at invalid.com> wrote:
> While enjoying the dynamic feature of Python I find it difficult to refactor
> code without breaking it. For example, if I modify a function to take more
> arguments, or arguments of different types, I'll need to manually find out
> all places where the function is called and make sure I modify them all,
> unlike in C/Java, where the compiler will do the work of checking function
> signatures, etc.

This specific problem can be addressed at least partially by setting
reasonable defaults for new arguments. This is a necessary technique
when the publisher of a language or a module/package wants to extend
the functionality of a function or method without introducing a new
name for the function/method.

The general problem is usually addressed in dynamic languages by
running a test suite.