Strict mode?

Jack nospam at invalid.com
Tue Dec 18 17:03:04 EST 2007

While enjoying the dynamic feature of Python I find it difficult to refactor
code without breaking it. For example, if I modify a function to take more
arguments, or arguments of different types, I'll need to manually find out
all places where the function is called and make sure I modify them all,
unlike in C/Java, where the compiler will do the work of checking function
signatures, etc. I suppose there isn't a strict mode in Python. It would be
helpful though, when I don't need things to be so dynamic, and this is often
the case, when it comes to function arguments and return values, for
example. Even a module level or function level flag would be very helpful to
find broken code. Or, are there any third party tools that do this?